Main menu
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: An afternoon walk around the rivers

An afternoon walk around the rivers 5 years 2 months ago #769

• old_school
Hi everyone, Just a quick intro - I’m a returning member after being away from the midlands for the last 25 years. The ‘pride’ is a very different place now to what it was back then, of course most of the lakes didn’t exist back then. £65 for a year really is fantastic value for money and especially so in my case as I live on the outskirts of derby so it takes 10/15 mins to get to the main complex and I work weekends and so have midweek days off which means its also quieter. An added bonus is that the pride now has most of the Trent and Mersey canal which was formerly DAA waters so I can take my nephews and grandson half a mile from my front door up the lane to Stenson and teach them how to fish.
I read a post recently where the chap concerned felt the pride had oversold its membership however, I disagree with this. Carp fishing seems to focus around Grimshaws lake for the regular, non-premium members and because of the fantastic access available on Grimshaws, at weekends it is going to get busy and mid-week really is the best time if you are able. £65 would just about cover 2 night sessions at Cudmore taking into account petrol, bait etc so even if you only ever manage 5 or 6 nights per year on Grimshaws, it is still good value. I understand that Redhouse is a ‘harder’ water and there always seems plenty of pegs available at weekends on it. I’ve blanked myself in the 2 nights I’ve done on Redhouse but I’m only just learning it and I know I’ll be rewarded in the end so my advice to anyone feeling they can’t get on the popular waters is to avoid the honeypots!

Anyway, last week the wife and I got out for a walk along all of ‘our’ river sections to see how things were shaping up for the coming season. It really was a great day and a good way of learning all the sections and the access points. I’ll describe the walk below should any new members want have a wander out now the better weather is here.

We parked up at the main complex in car park by the shipping container and headed towards the river over the pipes that form the ugly gully footbridge. Through the gate (key) and onto the bank of the Trent. Turn left here and head towards the pipe bridge. I used to have some good days on this stretch with roach and hybrids on the waggler and better bream on feeder. Pass under the pipe bridge and continue towards the new footbridge, the pride access road is running alongside on the left right up to the new footbridge. Cross over the footbridge and head back towards Derwent mouth (right over the bridge) arriving at the remnants of the old long horse foot bridge. I had a flashback of trouping up here with my dad all the way from Sawley with the rope ‘strap’ on my basket cutting into the shoulders! Access wasn’t as good then but the walk was worth it if the rivers were flooding and rising as the fish moved into the relative calm of the canal here and bumper bags of Roach and Chub were common. Head up the canal towards the lock and when reaching it cross to the other side via the footway on top of the gates. Follow the path through the trees and you’ll pop out at Grimleys ponds. These are looking great with a lot of work recently done to cut back the trees. Creep to the margins, the water is gin clear but keeping low we spotted several Tench and Perch.
Head over the field to towards the fallen tree and you are now on the river Derwent upstream of Derwent mouth. Follow the riverside path upstream and you’ll arrive at the Wilne footbridge after a couple of fields. You can cross the bridge now or do as we did and continue upstream towards the Wilne weir and upper boundary. I used to know this stretch as the ‘cracker factory’ and it used to fish well later in the season and through winter if it wasn’t in flood (or just running off after a flood) The river is narrow enough here to fish the inside with a stick and the far side with a waggler, something Ive not done on running water for over 20 years now. The walk upstream to the Wilne weir is about 1/2 a mile or so but worth it. On reaching the wier about turn and retrace you steps back to the wine footbridge. Cross the bridge and feel smug as you ignore the signs telling mere mortals where the footpath goes and head straight on to ‘our’ carpark. This is the bottom carpark on Wilne lane and exit the carpark by the big heavy gate (key) It isn’t possible to walk the Derwent all the way back to Derwent mouth as the pride doesn’t have the whole of the river down to it so after exiting the car park, turn right and head up Wilne lane towards the motorway bridge in the distance. Its 3/4 of a mile or so to walk and its a single track lane but the cars don’t seem to slow down any so take care! After 3/4 of a mile you’ll arrive at the pumping station on the left of the lane. Directly opposite the pumping station is a gate, this is ‘ours’ and the lane beyond heads towards the Trent again. You can squeeze through the side of the gate if on foot but you’ll need your key again if you want to take the car down there. Follow the farmers lane and you’ll come to another gate, just a rope loop fastening this time, go through this and continue on towards the car parking area beyond.

Now at this point I’d like to ask other members where exactly to park the car if fishing here? The map in the members booklet shows an area on the right at the end of the lane but this appeared rather overgrown but the general area at the end of the lane appeared to have a hard standing area on the left that seemed to be more suited? I don’t want to anger the farmer if I go down there fishing come the season.

At the end of the farmers lane head directly over to the pipe bridge, you’ll arrive directly opposite where you were earlier. There are some great pegs further upstream from here back towards the mouth but when you are at the pipe bridge turn left and head downstream towards the M1 bridge. Go under the bridge and follow the river around the bend and you are now at Sawley weir, continue on the path going downstream and through the trees arriving at the old ‘summer houses’. This is the end of the pride boundary on this bank so continue on the path until it leads you out at the Harrington Arms. After suitable refreshment at the Harrington, head towards the road bridge and cross the Trent and down the access track straight after the bridge and through the gate (key) and you are now at the ironmongers stretch. I always struggled here in days gone as I was never being able to come to terms with the depth of water here but the fish are there, my dad used to batter me on the ironmongers! Walk downstream mentally fishing every peg until you near the railway bridge, follow the path around and join the canal (Sawley cut) and follow the towpath back to the road bridge (No fishing on this section of the Sawley cut) Arriving back at the ironmongers car park/bridge, walk under the road bridge going upstream next to the Trent. You are now in the weir field section. Follow the river upstream toward the powerful weir. The water by the weir here is very loud but the Pike fishing used to be worth it, plugging and sink and draw used to see lots of jacks out. Follow the river above the weir where it becomes Sawley cut. Good Piking here too. Follow the cut back to the road and cross the cut via the road bridge and back on the other side of the cut. Its now an easy stroll up the cut towards the M1 bridge and after passing under the bridge you’ll be back at the ugly gully gate and back at the car.

I reckon its about 90% if not more of the Pride rivers covered and it was a great afternoon out, never getting difficult and all easy walking. We collected very little anglers litter but there are sections strewn with storm debris mostly around the weirs. I had polaroids and binos with me and we saw a few fish, 5 or 6 what looked like grayling in the shallows near wine footbridge and some chub moving around weed rafts. I’ve never caught grayling this low in the Derwent, only having them above Derby in the Darley park area so interested to know if anyone else has? Only saw one Cormarant the whole walk (in the weir field)

So there you have it, a great way of learning the rivers and pegs. I’ll be taking waders and probably a hand scythe when Im fishing the Derwent as the pegs really don’t appear well trodden at all but a quick 5 mins work will make the pegs comfy again. I’m really looking forward to getting back on moving water again, any advice? hotspots? times of year? Expected catches? I know about the big barbel that come out, where do they come out? all over or just small pockets?

Anyway, come and say hello if you see me out! (blue mondeo estate)

Paul
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by old_school. Reason: typos
The administrator has disabled public write access.

An afternoon walk around the rivers 5 years 2 months ago #771

• painter
Hi Paul
I often fish the Derwent in the fields above and below the Wilne bridge and there are some nice grayling there.
Although its possible to lose a couple to crafty pike on a bad day.
Also some nice roach and dace.
Nothing better than watching a float go under.
The rivers are never overcrowded so keep it quiet and don't tell the carp anglers what they're missing.
Already booked first day of season off work.
Good luck.
Ian

An afternoon walk around the rivers 5 years 2 months ago #773

• old_school
Hey up Ian
Yes I'll be on there first day of the season too

I've been getting a hour here and there but have been struggling, blanked on a gin clear ully gully, a few bits and bobs on poysers and a single perch on the canal at swarkestone! I need to find some fish soon, it's not doing much for the confindence at the moment

Paul
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by old_school. Reason: Typo
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds